Old 02-01-2006, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

Default BBC "Christine's garden"

Friday's new series called Christine's garden is certainly something
different, but I reserve judgement.
However the lady has no lack of knowledge and experience, so I was
delighted to hear her say that you should not water plants in bright
sunlight, because it may scorch the leaves. So I am not the only one
who has spent a lifetime believing that!!

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-01-2006, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Friday's new series called Christine's garden is certainly something
different, but I reserve judgement.
However the lady has no lack of knowledge and experience, so I was
delighted to hear her say that you should not water plants in bright
sunlight, because it may scorch the leaves. So I am not the only one
who has spent a lifetime believing that!!

Pam in Bristol

Quite a refreshing programme.
I believe she and you have so far spent a lifetime believing watering (in
sunshine) scorches leaves.
It's a fib,a myth and an attempt by the Water Companies to save water :-)

Old 02-01-2006, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Friday's new series called Christine's garden is certainly something
different, but I reserve judgement.
However the lady has no lack of knowledge and experience, so I was
delighted to hear her say that you should not water plants in bright
sunlight, because it may scorch the leaves. So I am not the only one
who has spent a lifetime believing that!!

Pam in Bristol

Quite a refreshing programme.
I believe she and you have so far spent a lifetime believing watering (in
sunshine) scorches leaves.
It's a fib,a myth and an attempt by the Water Companies to save water :-)

You're right, and it winds me up to keep hearing that. Does anybody ever
post a pic of the damage caused by sunshine after a shower? No, I didn't
think so.

The simple truth is a droplet of water on a leaf has nowhere near the
sphericality which would give it the optical capability to scorch a leaf

Rant ends.

(But I can't blame the water companies for wanting us to water less)

Steve

Old 03-01-2006, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

We could both be wrong -it never ever rains anywhere when the sun is
shinning and if it does all the plants get scorched and die instantly.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Rupert" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Friday's new series called Christine's garden is certainly something
different, but I reserve judgement.
However the lady has no lack of knowledge and experience, so I was
delighted to hear her say that you should not water plants in bright
sunlight, because it may scorch the leaves. So I am not the only one
who has spent a lifetime believing that!!

Pam in Bristol

Quite a refreshing programme.
I believe she and you have so far spent a lifetime believing watering
(in sunshine) scorches leaves.
It's a fib,a myth and an attempt by the Water Companies to save water
:-)

You're right, and it winds me up to keep hearing that. Does anybody ever
post a pic of the damage caused by sunshine after a shower? No, I didn't
think so.

The simple truth is a droplet of water on a leaf has nowhere near the
sphericality which would give it the optical capability to scorch a leaf

Rant ends.

(But I can't blame the water companies for wanting us to water less)

Steve

We could both be wrong -it never ever rains anywhere when the sun is
shinning and if it does all the plants get scorched and die instantly.

The other one that winds me up is " the easy way to water your hanging
baskets - just pop a couple of ice cubes in, they water it as they melt".

Quite apart from the effects of putting freezing cold water on your plants
on a hot day, have you seen how much water you get from a couple of ice
cubes?

Rant ends. Again.

Steve

Old 04-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Registered User

Location: Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzbat
"Rupert" wrote in message

"shazzbat"
wrote in message

"Rupert"
wrote in message

"Pam Moore"
wrote in message
[...]

(Hello everyone & nice to meet you all...)

This thing about watering......remember the old chestnut being hauled out by the gardening expert in the DT some years ago - to be thoroughly trounced by a market gardener in Singapore, for the reasons Steve has written above. He pointed out that Singapore is 1 deg. north of the equator and that it invariably rains daily at mid-day for an hour, rain which is then quickly burnt off......

Now, anyone else been to Singapore - also known at The Garden City State? I have! the 'perceived' wisdom is that it should be a frazzled, desolate place..duh!!!

Oh, and Christine?? I'm not questioning her garden knowledge at all, or her good-heartedness, but so pleased she's not my neighbour.....think I'd be digging a Christine-shaped trench in no time at all. That poor neighbour..."DEAF AS A POST,Y'KNOW" she shouts to camera, and the nice old chap smiles amiably......

Just my thoughts..cheers!
Old 04-01-2006, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

The Mouse wrote:

This thing about watering......remember the old chestnut being hauled
out by the gardening expert in the DT some years ago - to be thoroughly
trounced by a market gardener in Singapore, for the reasons Steve has
written above. He pointed out that Singapore is 1 deg. north of the
equator and that it invariably rains daily at mid-day for an hour, rain
which is then quickly burnt off......

(snip)

The thing is if I see a plant in great need of water, it means it needs
water now, and that usually means NOW as I see the plant needing water
and not when I've checked the sun's exact trajectory nor counted the
number of magpies, nor if the moon's full. And another thing, when I
water, I usually water the soil, not the bleeding whole plant. I come
from the south west of France, and if I'd waited the sun to come down
to water my plots, we'd have starved. Centuries ago at that.