Old 03-01-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default New trees to replace old ones

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:56:21 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Joan Riley contains
these words:

Hi Everyone
I used to post as Joan from Bramhall but we've now moved to a farm in
Ayrshire so I'm Joan from Ayrshire now.

Welcome to civilisation :-)

The farm we've moved to used to have a lot of trees, but the previous
owner cut nearly all of them down. We have an old map of the land

(snip). Does anyone
know the distance we should plant the new trees from the old?

No point worrying; the roots of such huge ancient trees will be
throughout that field.

(snip)

Plant what you see thriving locally, and plant small and bare-root
(from a Scottish nursery source, better suited to Scottish conditions).

(Snip)

Janet. (Isle of Arran)

Thankyou, Janet and also Rupert. Janet, (or anyone else) can you
recommend a Scottish tree nursery? I've done a search on Google and
Yell.com and only found one (Strathayre Nursery). There are lots of
beech hedges and some beech trees round here but we read that hornbeam
do better than beech in wet conditions. We prefer beech anyway, so
thanks for the tip.

This farm has been let to go to rack and ruin and we are looking
forward to bringing it back to as much of its former loveliness as we
can (just wish we were 20 years younger!) - a really exciting project
and a chance to give something back to a country where we have had so
many happy holidays.

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply