Old 03-01-2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Doug Freyburger

Default brambles...training ?

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
Purple Hugs wrote:

Blackberries / brambles same thing to me, have I got it wrong?

No, I did not know you were talking about Blackberries!
Brambles here in Texas are a type of Liana. Not related.

Here's what www.dictionary.com has to say about brambles:

bram·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brmbl) n.
1) A prickly shrub of the genus Rubus, including the blackberry and the raspberry.
2) A prickly shrub or bush.

[Middle English brembel, from Old English brĉmbel.]

I knew that berries are prickly from picking berries as a small child.
I thought brambles comes from the prickers as in definition two.
It never occured to me that the origin of the word would go the
other way around - berries to thorns vs thorns to berries.