Old 04-01-2006, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default BBC "Christine's garden"

The Mouse wrote:

This thing about watering......remember the old chestnut being hauled
out by the gardening expert in the DT some years ago - to be thoroughly
trounced by a market gardener in Singapore, for the reasons Steve has
written above. He pointed out that Singapore is 1 deg. north of the
equator and that it invariably rains daily at mid-day for an hour, rain
which is then quickly burnt off......

(snip)

The thing is if I see a plant in great need of water, it means it needs
water now, and that usually means NOW as I see the plant needing water
and not when I've checked the sun's exact trajectory nor counted the
number of magpies, nor if the moon's full. And another thing, when I
water, I usually water the soil, not the bleeding whole plant. I come
from the south west of France, and if I'd waited the sun to come down
to water my plots, we'd have starved. Centuries ago at that.