Old 04-01-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

Default newbie question

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
news
This is not necessarily true. My outdoor iris loose their old fans when
they're 1-3 years old depending on the harshness of the winter. Right now
some have new fans 6" tall while others are only a few inches and all
still
have last years fans. I have seedlings in a cool greenhouse. And while

they
ocassionally lose a leaf here and there, the fan never goes dormant. We're
not tropical here in SC. We've had nights into the mid 20's this year with
some days barely topping 50. But this is the weather iris grow best in
here.. They'll quit once the 80's & 90's settle in in May.
Gary

Twenty degrees is tropical compared to SW Ohio where we have temperature as
low as 15 below for at least a few days each winter. Since it was warm
today (55F) I checked out all my irises. They have all lost the old growth.
Most have new fans ranging from 1/2 to about three inches. That seems
typical here. I have never heard of anyone growing Irises in pots indoors.
That just doesn't seem right to me. Makes me think our old friend Byrdi
(sp?) is posting under a new name.