Old 04-01-2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
GH

Default newbie question

Does anyone know if potted irises loose their foliage in the winter? I
treated mines for iris borer and some are loosing their leaves. Thank
you!

Old 04-01-2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

Yes Iris will lose their old fans in winter, even inside. My 200+ iris are
just now starting to grow new fans.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

oups.com...

Old 04-01-2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

"GH" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know if potted irises loose their foliage in the winter? I
treated mines for iris borer and some are loosing their leaves. Thank
you!

Where are you and why are the in pots?

Old 04-01-2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
V_coerulea

This is not necessarily true. My outdoor iris loose their old fans when
they're 1-3 years old depending on the harshness of the winter. Right now
some have new fans 6" tall while others are only a few inches and all still
have last years fans. I have seedlings in a cool greenhouse. And while they
ocassionally lose a leaf here and there, the fan never goes dormant. We're
not tropical here in SC. We've had nights into the mid 20's this year with
some days barely topping 50. But this is the weather iris grow best in
here.. They'll quit once the 80's & 90's settle in in May.
Gary

"Starlord" wrote in message
Yes Iris will lose their old fans in winter, even inside. My 200+ iris are
just now starting to grow new fans.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

oups.com...

Old 04-01-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
news
This is not necessarily true. My outdoor iris loose their old fans when
they're 1-3 years old depending on the harshness of the winter. Right now
some have new fans 6" tall while others are only a few inches and all
still
have last years fans. I have seedlings in a cool greenhouse. And while

they
ocassionally lose a leaf here and there, the fan never goes dormant. We're
not tropical here in SC. We've had nights into the mid 20's this year with
some days barely topping 50. But this is the weather iris grow best in
here.. They'll quit once the 80's & 90's settle in in May.
Gary

Twenty degrees is tropical compared to SW Ohio where we have temperature as
low as 15 below for at least a few days each winter. Since it was warm
today (55F) I checked out all my irises. They have all lost the old growth.
Most have new fans ranging from 1/2 to about three inches. That seems
typical here. I have never heard of anyone growing Irises in pots indoors.
That just doesn't seem right to me. Makes me think our old friend Byrdi
(sp?) is posting under a new name.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

I live in the High Mojave Desert and all of my iris start losing their older
fans when the night temps drop from 55F down to the low 20f at night. Right
now I've been removing the old fans to let the new ones that are coming up
get the sunlight they need.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

news

"Starlord" wrote in message
Yes Iris will lose their old fans in winter, even inside. My 200+ iris
are just now starting to grow new fans.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

oups.com...

Old 05-01-2006, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

"Starlord" wrote in message
I live in the High Mojave Desert and all of my iris start losing their

older
fans when the night temps drop from 55F down to the low 20f at night.

Right
now I've been removing the old fans to let the new ones that are coming up
get the sunlight they need.

That sounds about right. They always look good until the mid fall, when
they finally give up. New fans start to grow almost immediately.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Newbie question Jim Lewis Bonsai 7 03-09-2003 01:42 AM
Newbie Potato Tire Question Richard Lovering Edible Gardening 5 27-07-2003 11:02 AM
[IBC] Repotting- Newbie question Luis Fontanills Bonsai 6 01-04-2003 07:20 AM
Repotting- Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 0 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 07:53 PM