Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jen

Default garden hand tools

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Jen" wrote:

My daughter just received a set of gardening hand tools for xmas, and I'm
not sure of the uses of each of them (there are 5 different types). I've
always just stuck with a couple of favourites I prefer to use. But I
thought it would be useful to know about their specific uses. I've tried
googling, but nothing has really given me any clear ideas.

Not knowing what you got, they could perhaps be:

Trowel - Slices through soil to dig holes for planting. (shovel)

Cultivator - Easily aerates soil around plants. Thins seedlings and
uproots weeds. (claw)

Planter - Neatly sized trowel for planting delicate seedlings and rows
of small flowers. (narrow shovel)

Fork - Perfect for simple edging and loosening soil around plants. (fork)

Narrow Weeder - Sized for tending window boxes and plants with thin,
delicate stems. (very narrow with V-shaped end for cutting roots)

They're the ones. Thanks