Old 06-01-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carolyn LeCrone

Default Tree Recommendation

Bradford pear is rather brittle and limbs break in windy weather. They are
no longer advised in our area. Also, in zone 6 and 7 they reseed freely and
threaten indigenous trees.
Carolyn
"cardarch" wrote in message
oups.com...
hawthorne - crataegus viridis 'winter king' would be nice. it's a
beautiful tree with its winter berries, it flowers in the spring, has
beautiful bark and is drought tolerant - well suited to street sites
and your back yard as well.

wrote:
I live sort of in between zones 5 and 6 in the lattitude of
Indianapolis, IN, can someone recommend a good tree or shrub that would
fit this description? I want to screen out an eye sore that I see out
a window that is in the 6-12 height range, so i want the tree to get
leafy,dense, & have horizontal growth in that height range, I don't
care if it gets to 25-30 ft, but no higher. I have some rather large
trees near (5-6 ft away) this area that prevent it from getting 100%
sun. I was going to pick a Bradford Pear, but many sites online
recommend it to get full sun. Can it grow well in "spotty off/on" sun?
Any other better suggestions? Thank you.