Old 06-01-2006, 09:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default Tree Recommendation

On 5 Jan 2006 13:42:52 -0800
wrote:

] I live sort of in between zones 5 and 6 in the lattitude of
] Indianapolis, IN, can someone recommend a good tree or shrub that would
] fit this description? I want to screen out an eye sore that I see out
] a window that is in the 6-12 height range, so i want the tree to get
] leafy,dense, & have horizontal growth in that height range, I don't
] care if it gets to 25-30 ft, but no higher. I have some rather large
] trees near (5-6 ft away) this area that prevent it from getting 100%
] sun. I was going to pick a Bradford Pear, but many sites online
] recommend it to get full sun. Can it grow well in "spotty off/on" sun?
] Any other better suggestions? Thank you.
]

How about an Amur Maple? Acer tartaricum subsp. ginnala
forms a wide very bushy shrub, has very decorative red samaras against
deep green leaves in summer, and excellent fall color. Unlikely
to get larger than your target it is none the less a rapid grower,
takes wind well and isn't bothered by too much or too little sun.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to