Old 06-01-2006, 06:59 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Seed catalogs ?

As a person who gets great satisfaction from growing roses, my advice,
is that no matter where you buy the rose bushes, choose the most
disease resistant plants. I've bought both from Witherspoon and from
Home Depot. My shrub roses survived really well and that's what I tend
to buy these days. My hybrid teas needed more care and attention than
I could give thus I have been less successful growing those (black
spot, june beetles, aphids, etc).

The cheapest Home Depot roses are $5, on sale every February. I take
inventory of my rose bushes that survived from the previous year and I

As for Witherspoon, wait until their sale (late in the season) to get
some rose bushes for 50% off. They have the most fragrant roses you
could want.

I wish you luck with your roses!

MJC wrote:
Is it really better to buy direct than from Lowes/Home Depot ect?
I will be building my retirement Rose Garden this spring, where shoulod I
look for quality Rose Bushes? I am about 100 miles from Raleigh now, down
Clinton / Elizabethtown way.
Thanks in advance,
MJ
wrote in message