Old 06-01-2006, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Default Air Layering - sphagnum moss alternative

Am I right in thinking you are trying to avoid sphagnum moss as it
comes from northern slow growing peat bogs? If so, why not consider
New Zealand Sphagnum from NZ and Chili, which is harvested like a crop.
They are able to go back and harvest it again after a few years because
it grows so fast. It is not like our moss and can have throny bits in
it. Its strands are very long (15-20cm) comes bone dry and you soak
it. it is straw coloured (as it has been dried) and is often sold in
vac packs.
Another alternative - how about long strands of coir.
Clifford