Old 06-01-2006, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gb

Default Air Layering - sphagnum moss alternative

What can I use as an alternative to sphagnum moss for air layering ??

Any ideas, preferably must be easily available and cheap (if not
free).

Shreaded newspaper ??
Old 06-01-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"gb" wrote in message

What can I use as an alternative to sphagnum moss for air layering ??

Any ideas, preferably must be easily available and cheap (if not
free).

Shreaded newspaper ??

Well-wetted moss peat, or peat based potting compost, or stuff from
a grow bag etc. will do just as well, in my experience.

Although the main roots are taking up nutrient for the main plant,
it's questionable whether shredded newspaper which contains
no nutrient at all, would support much supplementary root growth.
At a guess, the abundance of layered root growth will depend on
locally available nutrients. Spent potting or grow bag compost with
a residue of nutrient might be o.k.

There's no point in skimping too much IMO, if all the time and
effort you put in, only ends in failure.

In addition, most people probably don't do enough air layering for
cost to be that much of a factor.

Either that, or they start off small, and work out the best
all round solution in terms of cost, and success rates which
works for them and the material i.e. plant varieties, they're
working with.

michael adams

Old 06-01-2006, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

gb wrote:
What can I use as an alternative to sphagnum moss for air layering ??
Any ideas, preferably must be easily available and cheap (if not
free).
Shreaded newspaper ??

I don't know sadly. But I would be worried to use newspaper because of
the ink in it. Sphagnum moss is the best stuff for this. I've heard of
sissal, but that's an ecological alternative to the moss for hanging
basket and I don't think it would work for air layering.

btw, I've heard during the war people used sphagnum moss as alternative
to babies nappies.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

gb wrote:
What can I use as an alternative to sphagnum moss for air layering ??
Any ideas, preferably must be easily available and cheap (if not
free).
Shreaded newspaper ??

I don't know sadly. But I would be worried to use newspaper because of
the ink in it.

It would also be impossible to keep wet.

Sphagnum moss is the best stuff for this. I've heard of
sissal, but that's an ecological alternative to the moss for hanging
basket and I don't think it would work for air layering.

btw, I've heard during the war people used sphagnum moss as alternative
to babies nappies.

Indeed.

During WWII people donated their babies nappies to be used as oily rags by
Spitfire mechanics.

Allegedly.

michael adams

Old 06-01-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"michael adams" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

gb wrote:
[...]

Yes I bet my oily nappies were fine for the job.
Far too much force fed cod liver oil.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gb

btw, I've heard during the war people used sphagnum moss as alternative
to babies nappies.

I hadn't thought of using nappies.

Just wrap a large one around a stem.

Get it very damp, with a nutrient and hormone rooting mix.

Tape up the end's top and bottom.

There you have it water tight and clinically clean.

Not sure what the wife would think, with me going and buying a bag of
nappies. She will I must have one on the side, or she will tell she
has a headache. !!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Am I right in thinking you are trying to avoid sphagnum moss as it
comes from northern slow growing peat bogs? If so, why not consider
New Zealand Sphagnum from NZ and Chili, which is harvested like a crop.
They are able to go back and harvest it again after a few years because
it grows so fast. It is not like our moss and can have throny bits in
it. Its strands are very long (15-20cm) comes bone dry and you soak
it. it is straw coloured (as it has been dried) and is often sold in
vac packs.
Another alternative - how about long strands of coir.
Clifford

Old 06-01-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"gb" wrote in message

What can I use as an alternative to sphagnum moss for air layering ??

Any ideas, preferably must be easily available and cheap (if not
free).

Shreaded newspaper ??

Well-wetted moss peat, or peat based potting compost, or stuff from
a grow bag etc. will do just as well, in my experience.

(Although the main roots are taking up nutrient for the main plant,
it's questionable whether shredded newspaper which contains
no nutrient at all, would support much supplementary root growth.
At a guess, the abundance of layered root growth will depend on
locally available nutrients....)

Having had second thoughts, the above is propably wrong. As sphagnum
moss, the usual medium for air layering, and moss peat, are both low
in nutrients. The main use of the latter being to improve soil texture.
However, in my experience anyway from a few years back now, good results
can be obtained using a standard peat based potting compost complete with
whatever nutrients it happens to contain. The most important things being
the texture of the medium to allow and encourage good root penetration,
and good moisture retention to prevent any new roots from drying out.

michael adams

Old 06-01-2006, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:41:20 GMT, gb wrote:

What can I use as an alternative to sphagnum moss for air layering ??

Any ideas, preferably must be easily available and cheap (if not
free).

Shreaded newspaper ??

I would think newspaper, or nappies for that matter, not a good idea
as it will rot in the enclosed moist conditions. The resulting moulds
etc will probably infecting the wound cut to promote rooting.

What's wrong with damp peat?

--
Chris

Ordering Sphagnum Peat Moss Online Šave United Kingdom 3 02-06-2008 11:24 PM
Chilean vs NZ Sphagnum Moss Charles VanDyke Orchids 1 12-10-2006 10:53 PM
Sphagnum moss V_coerulea Orchids 8 29-12-2005 10:15 PM
[IBC] Air layering Oak Trees George Bizas Bonsai 6 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
[IBC] air layering for new nebari Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 25-01-2003 02:13 PM