Old 06-01-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Air Layering - sphagnum moss alternative

"gb" wrote in message

What can I use as an alternative to sphagnum moss for air layering ??

Any ideas, preferably must be easily available and cheap (if not
free).

Shreaded newspaper ??

Well-wetted moss peat, or peat based potting compost, or stuff from
a grow bag etc. will do just as well, in my experience.

(Although the main roots are taking up nutrient for the main plant,
it's questionable whether shredded newspaper which contains
no nutrient at all, would support much supplementary root growth.
At a guess, the abundance of layered root growth will depend on
locally available nutrients....)

Having had second thoughts, the above is propably wrong. As sphagnum
moss, the usual medium for air layering, and moss peat, are both low
in nutrients. The main use of the latter being to improve soil texture.
However, in my experience anyway from a few years back now, good results
can be obtained using a standard peat based potting compost complete with
whatever nutrients it happens to contain. The most important things being
the texture of the medium to allow and encourage good root penetration,
and good moisture retention to prevent any new roots from drying out.

michael adams