Old 07-01-2006, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

Default Blueberry plant

"Maryc" wrote in message

Farmer Joe Wrote:
HI and Merry Christmas to all!!

I got a small Blueberry plant from a garden center that was closing in
Sept. Its in a 6" pot and it was about a foot tall with a few berries
on it when I got it. I live on the line between 5-6 St Louis area
and I know I need to acidify (is that the right word??) the soil so
got some aluminum sulfate but I never did anything with this guy.
Should I plant it now or WHEN???
The temp around here now is about 25 F. Educate Me thanks Joe Mc

Hi!! I have several blueberry plants along the fron of my house like a
hedge. I put pine needles around them to give them the acid that they
like. Mine seem to love it. A lot of people will rake up their pine
needles and put them in bags so I can get an abundance of them.
I live in NE Arkansas and they grow great here.
Mary

Where have you kept the plant since it was bought? Outside? In the garage?
Under a carport?

I/d keep it outside, in a sunny, sheltered location out of the wind. Throw
some pine or leaf mulch up and around the pot to keep the soil from drying.
Plant it when the average daytime temperature is around 50°F or if you see
the plant beginning to leaf-out. Once it/s in the ground and leafing-out,
I/d give it a dose of fish emulsion every week. Avoid using water that/s
been softened.

Best of luck!