Old 09-01-2006, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Brussel sprouts?

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Why is it that the sprouts on my plants are so small, this is the second
year it has happened, or am I growing the wrong variety?

Which are Brassica gemmifera, at least that's what it says on the packet!

I think I got them from Wilkinsons.

Alan

I was interested in the answers to this as I have the same problem - very
small sprouts this year compared to previous years. However having read the
answers I am more confused than ever.

Bob says the pH needs to be 7+, never below 7. Then Rusty says try adding
powdered chalk to the soil to reduce the pH.

Please can someone explain a bit more about pH - for example (again from
what Bob says) it seems that adding manure and compost can actually be a bad
thing!!!

Jeanne