Old 09-01-2006, 06:10 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Deer are eating my Indian Hawthornes

On 2006-01-09, jim frei wrote:
Some big-ass deer has been munching on my Indian Hawthornes - just about
every leaf has 2/3 of the end bitten off.

Any suggestions for keeping the deer away? And don't say "you shouldn't
have moved to the country".

A 6 foot electric fence works if the area is not too large. 6 foot tall
and slanted outwards if it is a larger area. Supposedly deer can jump
high or wide but not botH. My BIL got away with 4-5 feet around a small
apple orchard. I think the density of the trees kept them from jumping
for fear of landing on a tree.

Infrared sensors that activate sprinklers or lights have been used
also. Montion detectors present a problem because the wind can make the
shrubs move. I have heard of this but don't know if it works.

is a garbage address.