Old 09-01-2006, 01:09 AM posted to triangle.gardens
jim frei

Default Deer are eating my Indian Hawthornes

Some big-ass deer has been munching on my Indian Hawthornes - just about
every leaf has 2/3 of the end bitten off.

Any suggestions for keeping the deer away? And don't say "you shouldn't
have moved to the country".

--
---

jim frei
http://www.stormwatergroup.com

Old 09-01-2006, 06:10 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-01-09, jim frei wrote:
Some big-ass deer has been munching on my Indian Hawthornes - just about
every leaf has 2/3 of the end bitten off.

Any suggestions for keeping the deer away? And don't say "you shouldn't
have moved to the country".

A 6 foot electric fence works if the area is not too large. 6 foot tall
and slanted outwards if it is a larger area. Supposedly deer can jump
high or wide but not botH. My BIL got away with 4-5 feet around a small
apple orchard. I think the density of the trees kept them from jumping
for fear of landing on a tree.

Infrared sensors that activate sprinklers or lights have been used
also. Montion detectors present a problem because the wind can make the
shrubs move. I have heard of this but don't know if it works.

is a garbage address.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:19 PM posted to triangle.gardens
MT Byers

jim frei wrote:
Some big-ass deer has been munching on my Indian Hawthornes - just about
every leaf has 2/3 of the end bitten off.

Any suggestions for keeping the deer away? And don't say "you shouldn't
have moved to the country".

Anyone heard of Irish Spring soap as a repellent? I have heard a
first-person account from a trusted source, and the review was glowing.

MT
Old 09-01-2006, 11:13 PM posted to triangle.gardens
jim frei

"MT Byers" wrote in message
jim frei wrote:
Some big-ass deer has been munching on my Indian Hawthornes - just about
every leaf has 2/3 of the end bitten off.

Any suggestions for keeping the deer away? And don't say "you shouldn't
have moved to the country".

Anyone heard of Irish Spring soap as a repellent? I have heard a
first-person account from a trusted source, and the review was glowing.

MT

i've heard of the following tricks:
soap
****
pepper
eggs
marigolds
nicotine
menthol

i'm going to try motion detectors connected to a radio and lights. i can
aim the detector where there are no shrubs.

i'm also going hunting this weekend. (wink wink)

Old 10-01-2006, 05:12 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Steve

In article et,
jim frei wrote:
i've heard of the following tricks:
soap
. . .
i'm also going hunting this weekend. (wink wink)

Deer hunting season ended about a week and a half ago in most of central
NC, so you'll have to wait till next year for that. The various sprays
and scented deterrents seem to only be effecitve for a short period of
time before the deer become acclimated to them. The best solution I've
found is electric fencing.

--
Steve

Old 12-01-2006, 03:58 PM posted to triangle.gardens
jim frei

"Steve" wrote in message
In article et,
jim frei wrote:
i've heard of the following tricks:
soap
. . .
i'm also going hunting this weekend. (wink wink)

Deer hunting season ended about a week and a half ago in most of central
NC, so you'll have to wait till next year for that. The various sprays
and scented deterrents seem to only be effecitve for a short period of
time before the deer become acclimated to them. The best solution I've
found is electric fencing.

Deer season lasts 12 months on my property...same thing for racoons, doves,
squirrels, possums, stray dogs, unleashed children, and revenue agents.

Old 17-01-2006, 01:32 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Jeff Frelinger

MT Byers wrote:
jim frei wrote:

Some big-ass deer has been munching on my Indian Hawthornes - just
about every leaf has 2/3 of the end bitten off.

Any suggestions for keeping the deer away? And don't say "you
shouldn't have moved to the country".

Anyone heard of Irish Spring soap as a repellent? I have heard a
first-person account from a trusted source, and the review was glowing.

MT

Irish Spring only results in clean deer.

I tried and it had no effect. The only thing that worked was an 8 ft fence.
Old 22-01-2006, 10:39 PM posted to triangle.gardens

I tried using the irish spring (need to cut it into shavings with a
carrot peeler) in my hosta beds and it helped. However, the best
solution I found was contacting my hair dresser and having her save all
the hair clippings and then spreading them in my gardens. No deer!

Old 14-02-2006, 02:17 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Rotten eggs -or powdered sulfur - they wont go near it.

There are deer away products, you have to spray after each rain

Mad dogs - sil has chesapeake bay retrievers on her property no deer of
course if the wind blows,a leaf drops or the sun moves the dogs bark

8ft fence

Tomatolord

ink.net...

Old 16-02-2006, 04:27 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Beth Peace

Jo wrote:
"jim frei" wrote in message
ink.net...

Some big-ass deer has been munching on my Indian Hawthornes - just
about every leaf has 2/3 of the end bitten off.

Any suggestions for keeping the deer away?

Plant rosemary near. They hate it.

Because they know they're so darn tasty with it /Alton Brown

Old 22-02-2006, 09:57 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Jo

Beth Peace wrote:
Jo wrote:

"jim frei" wrote in message
thlink.net...

Some big-ass deer has been munching on my Indian Hawthornes - just
about every leaf has 2/3 of the end bitten off.

Any suggestions for keeping the deer away?

Plant rosemary near. They hate it.

Because they know they're so darn tasty with it /Alton Brown

LOL

Good one!

Jo