Old 09-01-2006, 06:46 PM posted to triangle.gardens
?

Default Deer are eating my Indian Hawthornes

On 2006-01-09, jim frei wrote:
Some big-ass deer has been munching on my Indian Hawthornes - just about
every leaf has 2/3 of the end bitten off.

Any suggestions for keeping the deer away? And don't say "you shouldn't
have moved to the country".

A 6 foot electric fence works if the area is not too large. 6 foot tall
and slanted outwards if it is a larger area. Supposedly deer can jump
high or wide but not botH. My BIL got away with 4-5 feet around a small
apple orchard. I think the density of the trees kept them from jumping
for fear of landing on a tree.

Infrared sensors that activate sprinklers or lights have been used
also. Montion detectors present a problem because the wind can make the
shrubs move. I have heard of this but don't know if it works.

The motion triggered "ultrasonic" repellers don't work.
I put ultrasonic in scare quotes because I can hear them just
fine.
And the sprinklers have questionable results as well.

Anyhoo the best practice for keeping deer away from the landscaping
is to
1) Plant things the deer don't like to eat.
2) Sell everything of yours that the deer like to eat
to the neighbors.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil