Old 19-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Planting dried seeds

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:04:44 +0100, David Goldstein wrote:

that I am looking for here in Germany. Can anyone tell me if I can
successfully grow peppers from the seeds from dried chiles? I will be
purchasing a few bags of different chile peppers in the near future

Hi David,

I've saved seed from FRESH chillies bought from the supermarket, and grown
them into plants and eaten the results! As someone else has said, you need
to germinate them in a bit of warmth (I did mine in the airing cupoard in
the end on my 3rd or 4th attempt last year!). It would probably also work
with bell (sweet) peppers.

Must admit, I've not tried this with DRIED chillies, but you've got
nothing to loose in trying except a bit of compost....

HTH, Sarah