Old 18-02-2003, 09:04 PM
David Goldstein

Default Planting dried seeds

This is my first post to this group, so be nice :-) I want to plant a
variety of peppers this year, since it is so difficult to find the peppers
that I am looking for here in Germany. Can anyone tell me if I can
successfully grow peppers from the seeds from dried chiles? I will be
purchasing a few bags of different chile peppers in the near future and
being able to grow some from the seeds would be great. I have a terrible
feeling that it is not possible, but you never know.

David

Old 18-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David Goldstein wrote:
This is my first post to this group, so be nice :-) I want to plant a
variety of peppers this year, since it is so difficult to find the peppers
that I am looking for here in Germany. Can anyone tell me if I can
successfully grow peppers from the seeds from dried chiles? I will be
purchasing a few bags of different chile peppers in the near future and
being able to grow some from the seeds would be great. I have a terrible
feeling that it is not possible, but you never know.

Stop! Think! How much are you risking?

Oh, sod it, plant them anyway and see ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 18-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"David wrote in message
This is my first post to this group, so be nice :-) I want to plant a
variety of peppers this year, since it is so difficult to find the peppers
that I am looking for here in Germany. Can anyone tell me if I can
successfully grow peppers from the seeds from dried chiles? I will be
purchasing a few bags of different chile peppers in the near future and
being able to grow some from the seeds would be great. I have a terrible
feeling that it is not possible, but you never know.

Yes perfectly possible, done it ourselves with some nice dried Cayenne
Peppers we bought in Hungary and also from some fresh ones we liked bought
in a supermarket. We also have saved our own seed year on year in the past
without any problems. Just treat them like normal packet seed.
Now only grow Thai Dragon from T & M.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 19-02-2003, 06:02 AM
Alan Gould

In article , David Goldstein
writes
This is my first post to this group, so be nice :-) I want to plant a
variety of peppers this year, since it is so difficult to find the peppers
that I am looking for here in Germany. Can anyone tell me if I can
successfully grow peppers from the seeds from dried chiles? I will be
purchasing a few bags of different chile peppers in the near future and
being able to grow some from the seeds would be great. I have a terrible
feeling that it is not possible, but you never know.

Yes, you can grow most peppers and chillies from saved seed
successfully. In the case of hybrids they will grow and crop, but the
fruits will not necessarily come true to the parent stock. Chillies are
smaller and hotter than sweet peppers, but they grow much the same way.

Start the seed from now in a minimum temperature of 20C/68F and keep the
seedlings growing on until they have their first pair of true (i.e. not
seedling) leaves. Then they will be ready to be potted on or planted out
into their growing positions. They need to be staked for support. Plants
can be pinched out at the top to make them more bushy, or left to grow
in a cordon style.

We pick off sweet peppers as soon as they reach full size so as to
encourage more new fruits to form. If they are a red or yellow variety,
they will ripen on indoors. We usually freeze surplus fruits in late
summer or early autumn and that gives us a year's supply for cooking.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 19-02-2003, 11:25 AM
David Goldstein

"David Goldstein" wrote in message

snipped

Just wanted to say thx for the info :-)

David

Old 19-02-2003, 11:27 AM
David Goldstein

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
David Goldstein wrote:
This is my first post to this group, so be nice :-) I want to plant a
variety of peppers this year, since it is so difficult to find the

peppers
that I am looking for here in Germany. Can anyone tell me if I can
successfully grow peppers from the seeds from dried chiles? I will be
purchasing a few bags of different chile peppers in the near future and
being able to grow some from the seeds would be great. I have a terrible
feeling that it is not possible, but you never know.

Stop! Think! How much are you risking?

I know that you are correct here; however, since I cannot find the seeds
themselves here in Germany, I did not want to wait and watch nothing happen.
Anyway, thx for the advice :-)

Old 19-02-2003, 11:29 AM
David Goldstein

"Alan Gould" wrote in message

snipped

Thx very much for the info. This could be a lifesaver for me :-)

Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

David

Old 19-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Sarah Dale

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:04:44 +0100, David Goldstein wrote:

that I am looking for here in Germany. Can anyone tell me if I can
successfully grow peppers from the seeds from dried chiles? I will be
purchasing a few bags of different chile peppers in the near future

Hi David,

I've saved seed from FRESH chillies bought from the supermarket, and grown
them into plants and eaten the results! As someone else has said, you need
to germinate them in a bit of warmth (I did mine in the airing cupoard in
the end on my 3rd or 4th attempt last year!). It would probably also work
with bell (sweet) peppers.

Must admit, I've not tried this with DRIED chillies, but you've got
nothing to loose in trying except a bit of compost....

HTH, Sarah
Old 19-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Gary Woods

"Sarah Dale" wrote:

Must admit, I've not tried this with DRIED chillies, but you've got
nothing to loose in trying except a bit of compost....

Depending on how much heat (if any) was used to dry them, the seeds are
likely viable.

Be aware of a couple of things if you're going to save seeds, though:
Peppers can and do cross-pollinate, more likely within 10 or so meters.
If you do get a cross, the "hot" gene is dominant. More than one seed
saver has been surprised by an unexpectedly lively bell pepper!
Not everybody would consider that a bad thing...