Old 13-01-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

Default RP (rec ponds) Has this been tried, to filter out OT postings?

wrote in message
Hi:
I'm fairly new here. (Actually I've briefly visited here a
couple times in the past 4-5 years.)
I just downloaded headers for the past 8+ months, and could not
believe all the garbage off-topic posting here.
It looks like we have our own nut-case, as well as the nutcase
from new jersey,
Anyways, I have a suggestion that may or may not have been
tried here.
What if all of us who were really interested in rec ponds
just added RP to the beginning of our main header, and then set
our filters to delete anything that did not start with RP? Right
now it looks like most of the OT posts are just crossposts from
various religion hierarchies. Many of them may not even realize that
they are crossposting to rec. ponds.

RP -just a thought that might help the group.

ron

The problem is I read a number of newsgroups. If
I set my filter to delete anything that doesn't have
RP at the beginning, basically I delete everything
else from all my other newsgroups. Maybe other
news servers can delete from selective newsgroups,
but mine cannot.

It's frustrating, but I've seen this happen before.
Usually it goes away after a time. Those of us
who persist here just look for the on topic posts
and read/answer those.

Gail