Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Bamboo shoots in water - pot up?

"David WE Roberts" wrote
I have a couple of those decorative glass pots with short lengths of
bamboo stem standing in water.

Most people will have seen them; they have been hard to avoid in the run
up to Christmas.

They are not growing very quickly but then it is winter.

The instructions say not to feed but just keep topped up with water.

I assume these are not suitable for all year outside growth in the UK (but
you never know); I was just wondering why you weren't supposed to feed
them.
Perhaps they start to grow too fast?

I also wondered what would happen if you potted them up in a normal
potting compost.
Has anyone tried this?

All the ones I've seen are not Bamboo at all but Draceana sanderiana..see...
http://www.tropicalflora.com/Dracean...Sanderiana.htm

An easily grown plant from the wet tropics of west africa.

--
Regards
Bob