Old 12-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Life in the colonies

From: Iris Cohen
American society is considerably more regimented and conformist that in
Europe
Now that is surprising. I always thought it was the other way around.

Good heavens, Iris, wherever did you get that idea? This is such an
enormous country, that has grown so far so fast, that it has needed to
almost impose some degree of uniformity so as to establish and maintain some
form of national identity.

I'm currently reading the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, and the
author of the preface credits "Poor Richard's Almanack" for creating
a unified American character. Worst news I've heard all week......

The material in America (on the eastern side, at least) is not as good as
in
Europe. There are fewer suitable species, and those that are most suitable
are
conifers

I simply don't believe this, Colin. Give me some time to come up
with examples, but offhand, what is wrong with parsley crataegus,
shadblow, and beach plum? Huh? Huh? Huh?

--
Nina Shishkoff

Riverhead, NY

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: