Old 16-01-2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Container Veg plot in shade

In message , madgardener
writes

"La Puce" wrote in message
roups.com...

fourmations wrote:
snip snip snip I wouldn't grow
tomatoes - but all herbs and salads (lots of salads!).

you're right. And spinach does well with a half day of sunlight as well.

The only vegs that comes to mind is peas and runner bean which don't
mind shade, especially during the hottest part of the day. However they
need lots of water in well drained containers.

and you could mulch the plants with straw or hay or something of that sort
to hold the moisture around the roots, as most of these plants love the
early spring's coolness.

Runners certainly do not appreciate the coolness of a UK spring - I
certainly wouldn't be able to plant them out before May, and probably
not till early June.

Once the sun gets more intense, the shade will
actually benefit these plants. Here in the South, to extend the season of
cool weather and early spring crops, we put a wooden lattice over to provide
portable shade.

Again, I'm not sure this applies in the UK!

And planting on the northeast side of the area's.

--
Kay