Old 16-01-2006, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

Default Container Veg plot in shade

Hi all

I have a good amount of unused space at a side passage at my house

it only gets sun until about 11am - 12midday

I fancied putting rows of purpose built long boxes
on wall brackets on top of each other
(like a shelving arrangement)

what would grow well, considering the amount of shade?
how deep for the boxes?
I was going to sheet them with clear plastic (like a cold frame) is this
necessary

i fancy salad greens, pak choi, spring o's, herbs, shallots, garlic
tomatoes (probably need more sun)

any links welcome also

thanks in advance

niall

Old 16-01-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

fourmations wrote:
I have a good amount of unused space at a side passage at my house
it only gets sun until about 11am - 12midday
I fancied putting rows of purpose built long boxes
on wall brackets on top of each other
(like a shelving arrangement)
what would grow well, considering the amount of shade?
how deep for the boxes?
I was going to sheet them with clear plastic (like a cold frame) is this
necessary
i fancy salad greens, pak choi, spring o's, herbs, shallots, garlic
tomatoes (probably need more sun)

I wouldn't grow tomatoes - but all herbs and salads (lots of salads!).
The only vegs that comes to mind is peas and runner bean which don't
mind shade, especially during the hotest part of the day. However they
need lots of water in well drained containers. As for the shallots and
garlic ... I'm not too sure. A full day of sunshine is usually good for
them. They're prone to damp/humidity situations.

Old 16-01-2006, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

fourmations wrote:
snip snip snip I wouldn't grow
tomatoes - but all herbs and salads (lots of salads!).

you're right. And spinach does well with a half day of sunlight as well.

The only vegs that comes to mind is peas and runner bean which don't
mind shade, especially during the hottest part of the day. However they
need lots of water in well drained containers.

and you could mulch the plants with straw or hay or something of that sort
to hold the moisture around the roots, as most of these plants love the
early spring's coolness. Once the sun gets more intense, the shade will
actually benefit these plants. Here in the South, to extend the season of
cool weather and early spring crops, we put a wooden lattice over to provide
portable shade. And planting on the northeast side of the area's.

As for the shallots and
garlic ... I'm not too sure. A full day of sunshine is usually good for
them. They're prone to damp/humidity situations.

again, you're dead on about this. Shallots and garlic need sunlight to feed
the bulbils, although its usually recommended to plant garlic in the fall
with the ornamental spring bulbs. Good luck!
madgardener

Old 16-01-2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , madgardener
writes

"La Puce" wrote in message
roups.com...

fourmations wrote:
snip snip snip I wouldn't grow
tomatoes - but all herbs and salads (lots of salads!).

you're right. And spinach does well with a half day of sunlight as well.

The only vegs that comes to mind is peas and runner bean which don't
mind shade, especially during the hottest part of the day. However they
need lots of water in well drained containers.

and you could mulch the plants with straw or hay or something of that sort
to hold the moisture around the roots, as most of these plants love the
early spring's coolness.

Runners certainly do not appreciate the coolness of a UK spring - I
certainly wouldn't be able to plant them out before May, and probably
not till early June.

Once the sun gets more intense, the shade will
actually benefit these plants. Here in the South, to extend the season of
cool weather and early spring crops, we put a wooden lattice over to provide
portable shade.

Again, I'm not sure this applies in the UK!

And planting on the northeast side of the area's.

--
Kay

Veg plot - invasive conifer roots. Orson Kart United Kingdom 3 03-03-2006 04:53 PM
wood ash on veg plot middleton.walker United Kingdom 13 17-12-2005 12:59 AM
new veg plot graham United Kingdom 10 20-08-2003 01:06 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
What to grow in crap half of veg plot Rosie United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:30 AM