Old 17-01-2006, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

Default HAIR ALGAE TREATMENT - black soot algae

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Can't say I know what you mean by black soot algae. Got a pic?

=============================
No. I get too much glare from the glass at any angle to get a decent pic
of

Have you tried holdig the camera upside down or roated 90 degrees
clockwise
and/or counterclockwise? I've found that works pretty good for reducing
glare on digicam closeups.

No, but I can try it. Thanks. :-) I've tried all kinds of angels but
there is either glare or flashback or the pics are overexposed. That's why
I always had so few pics of my tanks on my pond/fish webpages. I never
tried turning the camera....

this algae. It's a powdery looking black coating on the glass and lower
parts of the plants. It looks like the black soot that you see on
fireplace
walls or chimneys. Similar to what grows in the darkness of toilet tanks.

Could be the beginnings of staghorn algae.

It doesn't do anything but stay powdery looking and spreads out from small
black spots. Where it gets more light, it seems to be a more reddish color.
The goldfish are nibbling it off the back glass I've noticed.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952