Old 17-01-2006, 04:35 PM posted to austin.gardening
John

Default Another scorpion question

"Dave-tx" wrote in message
ldomain...
Seeing the previous scorpion question reminded me that I wanted
to ask for opinions on my scorpion problem - I've killed more
than a dozen of them inside the house in the past 6 months. Any
suggestions for a way to get rid of them?

I've tried a perimeter of Diatomaceous earth around the house,
and that seemed to help, but would like alternative suggestions.

Anyone have any success stories to share?

-Dave

Hi Dave..
We too have the same problem..Been in central Texas for 13 years, never saw
one till we built a brand new house in Bastrop county (west of Bastrop, not
in the pines) We have had and killed several of the demonic creatures in
the house. It's one of the few crawly things that terrify me..After a good
web search I tried "Cycick" which is an encapsulated pesticide. You can
find it at places like self chem or on the net. It doesn't stink either.. I
think they like the attic, we have had a couple inside light
fixtures..Another good thing to get is those sticky box traps for mice and
bugs. They sell it at home depot. You fold them up and sit them on the
floor. Scorpions are supposed to like to travel along walls so close to the
baseboard is where we have ours. Caught two, and Roomba has even caught
one..I won't even walk in the house barefoot after stepping on one..Lucky
for me it was under the heel so he got flattened..No sting..They are really
hard to get rid of..They also say to control them outside before they come
in. One way is to get a gunny sack, and lay it on the ground wet and in the
morning you may find them collected under it. They like the dark and wet.
Another thing I do, I bought a battery black light and go "scorpion hunting"
at night around the house..It's amazing, they glow bright green like
vaseline glass...Stick em with a screwdriver!!!!

Good luck..I hope you find something that works...

John