Old 09-01-2006, 01:09 PM posted to austin.gardening
Dave-tx

Default Another scorpion question

Seeing the previous scorpion question reminded me that I wanted
to ask for opinions on my scorpion problem - I've killed more
than a dozen of them inside the house in the past 6 months. Any
suggestions for a way to get rid of them?

I've tried a perimeter of Diatomaceous earth around the house,
and that seemed to help, but would like alternative suggestions.

Anyone have any success stories to share?

-Dave
Old 09-01-2006, 03:22 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Dave-tx wrote:
Seeing the previous scorpion question reminded me that I wanted
to ask for opinions on my scorpion problem - I've killed more
than a dozen of them inside the house in the past 6 months. Any

Where do you live? We've been in this house since 2000 and I've never
seen a scorpion. Could be the cats eat 'em before I see them..

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 09-01-2006, 04:36 PM posted to austin.gardening
Dave-tx

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:22:20 -0600, Victor Martinez wrote:
Dave-tx wrote:
Seeing the previous scorpion question reminded me that I wanted
to ask for opinions on my scorpion problem - I've killed more
than a dozen of them inside the house in the past 6 months. Any

Where do you live? We've been in this house since 2000 and I've never
seen a scorpion. Could be the cats eat 'em before I see them..

Out in the sticks (Spicewood). Never saw any when I lived in Wells
Branch, but now....ick.

-Dave
Old 09-01-2006, 09:46 PM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

We used DE one year (exterminator blew it up underneath the mobile home) and
seemed to have success, but the next year they were bad as ever. We have
tried just about every potion that can be bought and the only thing that
seems to help is to switch poisons often. We use something from the feed
store called "Demon" and another one that they recommend, spray often and
switch regularly.
With hope and heart,
Kathleen from Driftwood/Wimberley
--
"It is not how much we do,
but how much love we put in the doing.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:49 AM posted to austin.gardening
Gary Brady

Dave-tx wrote:
Seeing the previous scorpion question reminded me that I wanted
to ask for opinions on my scorpion problem - I've killed more
than a dozen of them inside the house in the past 6 months. Any
suggestions for a way to get rid of them?

I've tried a perimeter of Diatomaceous earth around the house,
and that seemed to help, but would like alternative suggestions.

Anyone have any success stories to share?

-Dave

You can step on them. That works for sure.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 10-01-2006, 02:13 PM posted to austin.gardening
Dave-tx

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 04:49:00 GMT, Gary Brady wrote:
Dave-tx wrote:
Seeing the previous scorpion question reminded me that I wanted
to ask for opinions on my scorpion problem - I've killed more
than a dozen of them inside the house in the past 6 months. Any
suggestions for a way to get rid of them?

I've tried a perimeter of Diatomaceous earth around the house,
and that seemed to help, but would like alternative suggestions.

Anyone have any success stories to share?

-Dave

You can step on them. That works for sure.

Not so well on carpet, surprisingly. And definately not so well
with bare feet in the middle of the night!

-Dave
Old 10-01-2006, 02:15 PM posted to austin.gardening
Dave-tx

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:46:36 -0600, Kathleen wrote:
We used DE one year (exterminator blew it up underneath the mobile home) and
seemed to have success, but the next year they were bad as ever. We have
tried just about every potion that can be bought and the only thing that
seems to help is to switch poisons often. We use something from the feed
store called "Demon" and another one that they recommend, spray often and
switch regularly.
With hope and heart,
Kathleen from Driftwood/Wimberley

Thanks for the tips - sounds like this will be an ongoing battle.

I'm going to spend this week searching for open weep holes and holes
in the eaves, maybe I can at least slow down their progress.

-Dave
Old 10-01-2006, 03:04 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article t,
Gary Brady wrote:

Dave-tx wrote:
Seeing the previous scorpion question reminded me that I wanted
to ask for opinions on my scorpion problem - I've killed more
than a dozen of them inside the house in the past 6 months. Any
suggestions for a way to get rid of them?

I've tried a perimeter of Diatomaceous earth around the house,
and that seemed to help, but would like alternative suggestions.

Anyone have any success stories to share?

-Dave

You can step on them. That works for sure.

lol

We had the greatest success by using natural predation.

A small flock of mallard ducks...

Ducks like to party at night, so they can be as nocturnal as the bugs!

A wetter yard that attracts more toads is also good.

Try to find out where they are coming in, and treat the indoor area with
sevin.

When we lived in Martindale, the pet ducks cut back on our problem
considerably.

So did caulking.
--
Om.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:04 PM posted to austin.gardening
Tex John

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message

A wetter yard that attracts more toads is also good.

I lived two miles from my sister in law in Leander for two years. I had lots
of plants and watered them daily and my yard weekly. She never watered. We
both had lots of rocks in our yards.

I'd find them under her rocks (which she didn't want so I would collect some
of every so often) but never under mine. And mine definately got turned over
regularly as my kids learned to hunt garden snakes :)

Far as I was concerned, watering was the difference. I never applied any
pesticide outside the house other than dumping neem oil and orange oil on
ant piles.

John

Old 11-01-2006, 05:31 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Tex John" wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message

A wetter yard that attracts more toads is also good.

I lived two miles from my sister in law in Leander for two years. I had lots
of plants and watered them daily and my yard weekly. She never watered. We
both had lots of rocks in our yards.

I'd find them under her rocks (which she didn't want so I would collect some
of every so often) but never under mine. And mine definately got turned over
regularly as my kids learned to hunt garden snakes :)

Far as I was concerned, watering was the difference. I never applied any
pesticide outside the house other than dumping neem oil and orange oil on
ant piles.

John

Thanks for that...

IME, a wetter yard attracts more natural predators.

Toads, frogs, geckos, skinks, Anoles, and, less so but still helpful,
ground hunting spiders.
--
Om.

Old 15-01-2006, 05:32 AM posted to austin.gardening
JKC

"Dave-tx" wrote in message
ldomain...
Seeing the previous scorpion question reminded me that I wanted
to ask for opinions on my scorpion problem - I've killed more
than a dozen of them inside the house in the past 6 months. Any
suggestions for a way to get rid of them?

I've tried a perimeter of Diatomaceous earth around the house,
and that seemed to help, but would like alternative suggestions.

Anyone have any success stories to share?

-Dave

The #1 remedy is stuffing *all* weep holes and cracks in your exterior walls
with copper mesh wire. Remember to look up, and stuff weep holes above your
head, too. You can buy them fairly cheaply at Home Depot.

If they *live* inside your walls or in the attic, you may need professional
help.

Old 17-01-2006, 04:35 PM posted to austin.gardening
John

"Dave-tx" wrote in message
ldomain...
Seeing the previous scorpion question reminded me that I wanted
to ask for opinions on my scorpion problem - I've killed more
than a dozen of them inside the house in the past 6 months. Any
suggestions for a way to get rid of them?

I've tried a perimeter of Diatomaceous earth around the house,
and that seemed to help, but would like alternative suggestions.

Anyone have any success stories to share?

-Dave

Hi Dave..
We too have the same problem..Been in central Texas for 13 years, never saw
one till we built a brand new house in Bastrop county (west of Bastrop, not
in the pines) We have had and killed several of the demonic creatures in
the house. It's one of the few crawly things that terrify me..After a good
web search I tried "Cycick" which is an encapsulated pesticide. You can
find it at places like self chem or on the net. It doesn't stink either.. I
think they like the attic, we have had a couple inside light
fixtures..Another good thing to get is those sticky box traps for mice and
bugs. They sell it at home depot. You fold them up and sit them on the
floor. Scorpions are supposed to like to travel along walls so close to the
baseboard is where we have ours. Caught two, and Roomba has even caught
one..I won't even walk in the house barefoot after stepping on one..Lucky
for me it was under the heel so he got flattened..No sting..They are really
hard to get rid of..They also say to control them outside before they come
in. One way is to get a gunny sack, and lay it on the ground wet and in the
morning you may find them collected under it. They like the dark and wet.
Another thing I do, I bought a battery black light and go "scorpion hunting"
at night around the house..It's amazing, they glow bright green like
vaseline glass...Stick em with a screwdriver!!!!

Good luck..I hope you find something that works...

John

Scorpion question charliekilo Texas 7 02-02-2006 09:42 AM
scorpion control? Ruth Shear Texas 18 08-07-2003 12:08 AM
Another "what's this?" question... Martin Richards United Kingdom 13 05-06-2003 10:32 PM
Another petunia question mypet Gardening 0 01-06-2003 09:32 PM
Another wheelbarrow question Richard Gardening 10 18-03-2003 04:32 AM