Old 17-01-2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default Wonderful CITES

Not sure if it's federal or state law interfering around here, but the
clearing for new development in Martin and Palm Beach Counties is knocking
down a lot of trees that host Enc. tampensis and other Florida natives. And
no one seems to be capable of salvaging them. There's one outfit that got a
permit, so I hear, but then it couldn't get the funding/personnel to
actually follow through. So they're being turned into mulch. Kenni

Specific countries have laws that also make ex-situ conservation
impossible. These are probably not CITES related. I want to say it's
illegal to rescue orchids in deforestation zones in Mexico as an example.
Peru also comes to mind as having policies in this area that make it hard
to save orchids from slash and burn areas.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org