Old 17-01-2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default Wonderful CITES

Not sure if it's federal or state law interfering around here, but the
clearing for new development in Martin and Palm Beach Counties is knocking
down a lot of trees that host Enc. tampensis and other Florida natives. And
no one seems to be capable of salvaging them. There's one outfit that got a
permit, so I hear, but then it couldn't get the funding/personnel to
actually follow through. So they're being turned into mulch. Kenni

Specific countries have laws that also make ex-situ conservation
impossible. These are probably not CITES related. I want to say it's
illegal to rescue orchids in deforestation zones in Mexico as an example.
Peru also comes to mind as having policies in this area that make it hard
to save orchids from slash and burn areas.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 18-01-2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

So they're being turned into mulch. Kenni

That's right. Can't have ordinary folks go in there and save the plants a
few at a time, now, can we? And yes, I understand all about property
ownership and liability. Waivers could take care of that. Disgusting. A few
years back, a newbie proudly showed off a clump of tampenses he had taken
from a tree. He didn't know it was illegal. Of course we advised him to "put
that thing away somewhere, right now!". But bulldozing is fine.

Diana

Could a Non-Profit for gathering genitic samples of orchids get past CITES Jack Orchids 2 21-11-2005 11:54 PM
Paphiopedilum vietnamense and Paphiopedilum hermannii CITES and the EU freeflyer Orchids 4 30-06-2005 07:04 AM
Cites question flosaeris Orchids 9 30-03-2005 07:53 PM
CITES: Dare we hope?? Is this for real???? Reka Orchids 7 31-10-2004 11:32 PM
More Protection Urged for Rare Toothfish at CITES Benign Vanilla Ponds 1 07-10-2004 05:04 PM