Old 18-01-2006, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

Default Garden fencing?

simy1 wrote:

You could have a 4 feet tall chainlink with one strand of wire on top
(six inches above or so),................

I would be afraid the deer might just jump over the fence and never
notice the electric wire. Deer in many areas are used to fences and just
jump over.
I've had both deer and bear get into my garden but I'm in town where it
doesn't happen often enough to justify a fence.
One solution might be to use a fence tall enough to keep out the deer
and one strand of electric fence wire at (maybe) 5 feet high. The bear
might reach up to test the strength of the fence and get shocked. Kind
of expensive so I would actually try just the electric fence first. High
enough to be out of reach of any child too young to understand.

Steve