Old 15-01-2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Brenda Hammond

Default Garden fencing?

I'm in southwestern British Columbia and the area we live in has LOTS of
deer and some bears in the fall. Anyone have a suggestion as to the best
type of fencing to use to deter them.

We were thinking about electric fencing, but have concerns about that
because of the young children at our house and the neighbors - there's no
fence between our place and theirs and their daughter comes over quite
often.

Thanks in advance

Brenda

Old 15-01-2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne

Are the girls too young to educate about the electric fence? My daughter
used that to keep her dogs in, and their young boys didn't have a problem
with it after they were told what will happen and shown how it works.

There are different kinds of electric fence. You might find one that is too
tall for the kids to reach, but a deer would get zapped when it lays its
neck across the top to look in.

Dwayne

Old 15-01-2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:04:05 -0600, "Dwayne" wrote:

[...]

We have a 3 wire electric fence to keep the deer out. It is on a
timer. Comes on at sunset and goes off at dawn.
--
Susan N.

Old 15-01-2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Brenda Hammond

"The Cook" wrote in message
[...]

We'd have to keep it on 24/7 heree. The deer are around all the time!

Brenda

Old 15-01-2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Brenda Hammond

I'm thinking now about using 4 - 5 foot wire fencing along the bottom, then
few rounds of electric fencing above that.

Brenda

Old 15-01-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

Brenda Hammond wrote:

We were thinking about electric fencing, but have concerns about that
because of the young children at our house and the neighbors - there's no
fence between our place and theirs and their daughter comes over quite
often.

I have no experience with bears, but after a contact by one individual
with an electrified wire, the whole deer herd learns to stay away for a
very long time (years). They are a herd after all, and if they see one
of their own very scared and in full flight they get scared as well.
And, mind you, they are in my backyard every single day, they just know
enough to leave the vegetable garden alone. I keep my wire off 99% of
the time, and if I see signs of entry one week on is enough to restore
order. Same with squirrels.

You could have a 4 feet tall chainlink with one strand of wire on top
(six inches above or so), and a small gate unwired to let the neighbor
daughter come and go. The deer will probably touch the wire with their
noses as they explore this new thing. Explain the arrangement to the
girls and their parents and you will have little trouble.

Old 18-01-2006, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

simy1 wrote:

You could have a 4 feet tall chainlink with one strand of wire on top
(six inches above or so),................

I would be afraid the deer might just jump over the fence and never
notice the electric wire. Deer in many areas are used to fences and just
jump over.
I've had both deer and bear get into my garden but I'm in town where it
doesn't happen often enough to justify a fence.
One solution might be to use a fence tall enough to keep out the deer
and one strand of electric fence wire at (maybe) 5 feet high. The bear
might reach up to test the strength of the fence and get shocked. Kind
of expensive so I would actually try just the electric fence first. High
enough to be out of reach of any child too young to understand.

Steve
Old 18-01-2006, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Brenda Hammond

"Steve" wrote in message
simy1 wrote:

You could have a 4 feet tall chainlink with one strand of wire on top
(six inches above or so),................

I would be afraid the deer might just jump over the fence and never notice
the electric wire. Deer in many areas are used to fences and just jump
over.
I've had both deer and bear get into my garden but I'm in town where it
doesn't happen often enough to justify a fence.
One solution might be to use a fence tall enough to keep out the deer and
one strand of electric fence wire at (maybe) 5 feet high. The bear might
reach up to test the strength of the fence and get shocked. Kind of
expensive so I would actually try just the electric fence first. High
enough to be out of reach of any child too young to understand.

Steve

We just had netting around ours at a height of about 5 feet last year and
the deer avoided jumping over - maybe because my garden is in raised
boxes??? Anyway, that worked well until September rolled around and
the bears were out in search of food! It tore a hole in one side of the
garden netting, walked right through and tore a hole in the opposite side to
get out. Now the deer just freely walk right through both of the holes.
Good
thing nothing other than garlic is growing now.

Brenda