Old 18-01-2006, 07:47 PM
grumpy[_1_] grumpy[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie
We are making a simple rectangular metal frame trellis with wires across it for a clematis to provide a screen from our neighbours in the summer. It will sit on top of an existing 1m high fence and will be 1m long and 80 cm high. We want it to be as unobtrusive as possible to minimise its light blocking to a basement window when the clematis dies back in winter so we want to have the wires as far apart as possible. Questions:

How far apart can they be to still have the Clematis grow up the structure?

Is it possible to just have horizontal wires?

The wire we intend using is 10mm (o.4 inches) thick - is this too thick for the tendrils to grab onto?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
I grew a clematis om bean sticks, like a wigwam,it rolled over when it got to the top of the sticks,and the flowers looked realy good . nothing very conventional about this I guess,but necessity is the mother of some very strange ideas sometimes! The reason for this was I did not know the plant was there,and it took off while I was busy doing other things.(had just moved in) I also have one on a widely spaced trellis fence,seems to cling on and cope well!
Regards Grumpy