Old 19-01-2006, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Clematis trellis design - how big can the gaps be?

In article ,
frankie wrote:

We are making a simple rectangular metal frame trellis with wires across
it for a clematis to provide a screen from our neighbours in the summer.
It will sit on top of an existing 1m high fence and will be 1m long and
80 cm high. We want it to be as unobtrusive as possible to minimise its
light blocking to a basement window when the clematis dies back in
winter so we want to have the wires as far apart as possible.
Questions:

How far apart can they be to still have the Clematis grow up the
structure?

A couple of metres. I would recommend using 20-30 cm squares; 10-15
is better for a screen, but you want light in winter.

Is it possible to just have horizontal wires?

Yes, but it is geneally a bad idea. A good one is diamonds (i.e.
squares aligned diagonally), because that catches the eye less.

The wire we intend using is 10mm (o.4 inches) thick - is this too thick
for the tendrils to grab onto?

No, but that is rod, not wire! Surely 5 mm would be heavy enough, unless
you are trying to fortify the area.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.