Old 19-01-2006, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Clematis trellis design - how big can the gaps be?

"frankie" wrote in message

We are making a simple rectangular metal frame trellis with wires across
it for a clematis to provide a screen from our neighbours in the summer.
It will sit on top of an existing 1m high fence and will be 1m long and
80 cm high. We want it to be as unobtrusive as possible to minimise its
light blocking to a basement window when the clematis dies back in
winter so we want to have the wires as far apart as possible.
Questions:

How far apart can they be to still have the Clematis grow up the
structure?

Is it possible to just have horizontal wires?

The wire we intend using is 10mm (o.4 inches) thick - is this too thick
for the tendrils to grab onto?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

--
frankie

You do need the wire in both directions, anything smaller than finger size
is ok, and the squares should ideally be 6" or less. (I occasionally use
stock fencing but prefer the large gauge chicken wire)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk