Old 20-01-2006, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
RainLover

Default What's this about 1st year it SLEEPS?????? (Seattle, USA, Zone 8a)

Exactly one year ago this month a neighbor up the road let me 'rescue'
some bamboo that they were about to rip out with a back hoe... 16'
(4.8 m) tall Yellow Groove (1" to 2" (2.5 to 5 cm) in diameter)

The other day I was outside and noticed that I already have SHOOTING
occuring in a Black Bamboo grove (4 years old) and two shoots in a 1
year old grove of timber bamboo. Let me remind everyone... IT'S
JANUARY!!!!! I chalk it up to 12" (30 cm) of rain in the last 30 days
and warm temperatures in the 40's and 50's F (4 to 10 C).

.. . . . But I was utterly SHOCKED when I inspected my
YellowGrooveGrove (it's official name). I found 1" (2.5 cm) rhizomes
nearly 5 FEET (152 cm) from the root ball I planted!!!!! (but that's
only where I see it popping up and diving back DOWN; who knows where
it REALLY ends??!!!)

What does that handy rhyme refer to anyway?? You know the one:

The 1st year it sleeps,
The 2nd year it creeps,
The 3rd year it leaps.

In MY OPINION, running over 6 feet (183 cm) in 12 months is beyond
sleeping and creeping. I put in barrior, but I'm afraid... very
afraid. :-)

Okay.. I'm done with my faux rant (a brag in disguise is more like it)
hehe

James, Zone 8a, Port Orchard, Washington, USA, Earth