Old 20-01-2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

Default Seed germination?

I can use some insight on why some seeds germinate more readily than others.
I have been using roughly one inc cubes of rock wool to germinate my seeds.
I soak the cubes in water. That leaves them moist but not drippy. After
germination, I add a dilute solution of nutrients.

Tomatoes: Do some varieties germinate more readily than others? I just
bought some Celebrity seeds. They are already growing. Some other varieties,
from last season, have been in the cubes for twice as long (two weeks) and
show little sign of germinating.

Squash: I have always had some trouble getting zucchini and other
squashes to germinate. Is there a trick to that? Should the apex of the seed
point down? Is there a benefit to using real soil as opposed to the rock
wool?

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush