Old 20-01-2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

Default Seed germination?

I can use some insight on why some seeds germinate more readily than others.
I have been using roughly one inc cubes of rock wool to germinate my seeds.
I soak the cubes in water. That leaves them moist but not drippy. After
germination, I add a dilute solution of nutrients.

Tomatoes: Do some varieties germinate more readily than others? I just
bought some Celebrity seeds. They are already growing. Some other varieties,
from last season, have been in the cubes for twice as long (two weeks) and
show little sign of germinating.

Squash: I have always had some trouble getting zucchini and other
squashes to germinate. Is there a trick to that? Should the apex of the seed
point down? Is there a benefit to using real soil as opposed to the rock
wool?

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Old 20-01-2006, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"Salmon Egg" wrote in message
[...]

Seeds lose some of the vitality as they age, esp. if they are exposed to
light, moisture, and/or heat. The standing advice is to store seed in a
cool, dark place. This may explain what/s happening to your seeds from last
year.

As for squash, I/ve never had any trouble getting them to germinate under
lights. I plant them flat, as opposed to standing on end, in a shallow tray
filled w/not-too-wet potting soil covered with a loose fitting plastic lid.
They/re up in less than a week.

Old 22-01-2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
R M. Watkin

Hi All,
It is recomended that you plant squash seeds on their edge rather than flat.
I allways do this and have had no trouble. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 22-01-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

I think it's important that the point not be down but pointing to the
side. The reason is, if the point is down, the whole seed emerges from
the soil as the root goes down. The the seed coat dries and the the seed
leaves have a hard time breaking loose from the outer shell. If planted
side ways, the shell usually stays in the soil as the seed leaves pull
themselves free.

Steve

Old 23-01-2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem

Salmon Egg wrote:
I can use some insight on why some seeds germinate more readily than others.
I have been using roughly one inc cubes of rock wool to germinate my seeds.
I soak the cubes in water. That leaves them moist but not drippy. After
germination, I add a dilute solution of nutrients.

Tomatoes: Do some varieties germinate more readily than others? I just
bought some Celebrity seeds. They are already growing. Some other varieties,
from last season, have been in the cubes for twice as long (two weeks) and
show little sign of germinating.

Squash: I have always had some trouble getting zucchini and other
squashes to germinate. Is there a trick to that? Should the apex of the seed
point down? Is there a benefit to using real soil as opposed to the rock
wool?

Don't know where you live, but in the Northern Hemisphere it's pretty
early to be starting warm season plants. I've never used rock wool, so
can't help you there.

Tomatoes: I think there are only minor differences in germination
times among varieties. The problem is likely with the age or storage
method for your older seeds. Just keep sowing more until some
germinate. The standard rule of thumb for planting your transplants
outside is to wait until soil temps (approximately the same as night
time temps) are 50°F or higher. They won't do anything in cooler
soil.

Squash: I always sow these seeds on end, pointy side up, but I've
never started them inside. I wait until the ground is workable and sow
them directly where I want them. Usually, I put the seeds in plain
water in the morning and let them soak until I plant them in the early
evening. They've always been easy to germinate. -aem

Old 24-01-2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

On 1/23/06 3:39 PM, in article
, "aem"
wrote:

[...]

I live in southern California. Although it has been a bit chilly here
lately, I do have a small greenhouse that helps a lot.

My Celebrity tomatoes have germinated well. The others are not doing well.

I have a germinated zucchini. The other squash have not germinated. I find,
from my own observation, that the root pushes out from the pointy end of the
seed. While the coat pushes away from the root. That is why I think I should
plant point down. Next time, I will try nicking the pointy end to see if
that helps.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Old 24-01-2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem

Salmon Egg wrote:

I have a germinated zucchini. The other squash have not germinated. I find,
from my own observation, that the root pushes out from the pointy end of the
seed. While the coat pushes away from the root. That is why I think I should
plant point down. Next time, I will try nicking the pointy end to see if
that helps.

Then you know more than I do about squash seeds. But it doesn't really
matter which way you plant it. The plant will figure out which way is
up. ;-) -aem

Old 25-01-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora

In article .com,
"aem" wrote:

Salmon Egg wrote:
[...]

I was amazed at how well pot grows in rock wool. (No, not me. Someone who
gave me many cubic feet of good potting soil when they switched over to
rock wool has had great sucess with it.)

It's pretty early to be starting tomatoes and way too early to start
squash, no matter where you are, if you're in the US. (Well, maybe if
you're in NM, TX or AZ it's not too early. I don't know.)

Jan
Zone 3

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.
Old 26-01-2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Maren Purves

Salmon Egg wrote:
On 1/24/06 11:29 AM, in article
, "aem"
wrote:

Salmon Egg wrote:

I have a germinated zucchini. The other squash have not germinated. I find,
from my own observation, that the root pushes out from the pointy end of the
seed. While the coat pushes away from the root. That is why I think I should
plant point down. Next time, I will try nicking the pointy end to see if
that helps.

Then you know more than I do about squash seeds. But it doesn't really
matter which way you plant it. The plant will figure out which way is
up. ;-) -aem

I only know what I observe. Today, I gently peeled the seed coat (aril?)
partially away from the sprouting zucchini. I also split the aril near the
point of another seed. I split two banana squash seeds in the same way. In a
week or so, I expect to find out if this technique helps.

both the roots and the vines come out of the pointy end. If you nick it
you may damage whatever would grow out of it and may kill it.
(But yes, the plant will figure out which way is up.)
I usually plant cucurbite seeds lying flat on the ground (potting soil).
What you see after you peel back the seed coat will turn into the
cotyledon (sp?).

Maren
BTW, I'm in the northern hemispehre too, and the ground here (almost)
never goes below 50F.
Palms, Etc.: Tropical Plant Seeds - Hand-made Jewelry - Plants & Lilikoi
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc/

Old 26-01-2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora

In article ,
Maren Purves wrote:

Salmon Egg wrote:
On 1/24/06 11:29 AM, in article
, "aem"
wrote:

Salmon Egg wrote:

[...]

Maren, dear:

You are *just barely* in the northern hemisphere! *laugh*

Jan in Alaska

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.
Old 26-01-2006, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Maren Purves

Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
Maren Purves wrote:

Salmon Egg wrote:

On 1/24/06 11:29 AM, in article
ps.com, "aem"
wrote:

Salmon Egg wrote:

[...]

BTW, I'm in the northern hemisphere too, and the ground here (almost)
never goes below 50F.
Palms, Etc.: Tropical Plant Seeds - Hand-made Jewelry - Plants & Lilikoi
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc/

Maren, dear:

You are *just barely* in the northern hemisphere! *laugh*

Jan in Alaska

not! I'm just barely tropical (19.8N) - but I know what you're saying,
I moved here from 54N (long time ago).

Maren