Old 22-01-2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
R M. Watkin

Default Seed germination?

Hi All,
It is recomended that you plant squash seeds on their edge rather than flat.
I allways do this and have had no trouble. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

"TQ" ToweringQs AT adelphia.net wrote in message

"Salmon Egg" wrote in message
I can use some insight on why some seeds germinate more readily than

others.
I have been using roughly one inc cubes of rock wool to germinate my

seeds.
I soak the cubes in water. That leaves them moist but not drippy. After
germination, I add a dilute solution of nutrients.

Tomatoes: Do some varieties germinate more readily than others? I just
bought some Celebrity seeds. They are already growing. Some other

varieties,
from last season, have been in the cubes for twice as long (two weeks)
and
show little sign of germinating.

Squash: I have always had some trouble getting zucchini and other
squashes to germinate. Is there a trick to that? Should the apex of the

seed
point down? Is there a benefit to using real soil as opposed to the rock
wool?

Seeds lose some of the vitality as they age, esp. if they are exposed to
light, moisture, and/or heat. The standing advice is to store seed in a
cool, dark place. This may explain what/s happening to your seeds from
last
year.

As for squash, I/ve never had any trouble getting them to germinate under
lights. I plant them flat, as opposed to standing on end, in a shallow
tray
filled w/not-too-wet potting soil covered with a loose fitting plastic
lid.
They/re up in less than a week.