Old 24-01-2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

Default Seed germination?

On 1/23/06 3:39 PM, in article
, "aem"
wrote:

Don't know where you live, but in the Northern Hemisphere it's pretty
early to be starting warm season plants. I've never used rock wool, so
can't help you there.

Tomatoes: I think there are only minor differences in germination
times among varieties. The problem is likely with the age or storage
method for your older seeds. Just keep sowing more until some
germinate. The standard rule of thumb for planting your transplants
outside is to wait until soil temps (approximately the same as night
time temps) are 50°F or higher. They won't do anything in cooler
soil.

Squash: I always sow these seeds on end, pointy side up, but I've
never started them inside. I wait until the ground is workable and sow
them directly where I want them. Usually, I put the seeds in plain
water in the morning and let them soak until I plant them in the early
evening. They've always been easy to germinate. -aem

I live in southern California. Although it has been a bit chilly here
lately, I do have a small greenhouse that helps a lot.

My Celebrity tomatoes have germinated well. The others are not doing well.

I have a germinated zucchini. The other squash have not germinated. I find,
from my own observation, that the root pushes out from the pointy end of the
seed. While the coat pushes away from the root. That is why I think I should
plant point down. Next time, I will try nicking the pointy end to see if
that helps.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush