Old 24-01-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

Default Seed germination?

On 1/24/06 11:29 AM, in article
, "aem"
wrote:

Salmon Egg wrote:

I have a germinated zucchini. The other squash have not germinated. I find,
from my own observation, that the root pushes out from the pointy end of the
seed. While the coat pushes away from the root. That is why I think I should
plant point down. Next time, I will try nicking the pointy end to see if
that helps.

Then you know more than I do about squash seeds. But it doesn't really
matter which way you plant it. The plant will figure out which way is
up. ;-) -aem

I only know what I observe. Today, I gently peeled the seed coat (aril?)
partially away from the sprouting zucchini. I also split the aril near the
point of another seed. I split two banana squash seeds in the same way. In a
week or so, I expect to find out if this technique helps.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush