Old 26-01-2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Maren Purves

Default Seed germination?

Salmon Egg wrote:
On 1/24/06 11:29 AM, in article
, "aem"
wrote:

Salmon Egg wrote:

I have a germinated zucchini. The other squash have not germinated. I find,
from my own observation, that the root pushes out from the pointy end of the
seed. While the coat pushes away from the root. That is why I think I should
plant point down. Next time, I will try nicking the pointy end to see if
that helps.

Then you know more than I do about squash seeds. But it doesn't really
matter which way you plant it. The plant will figure out which way is
up. ;-) -aem

I only know what I observe. Today, I gently peeled the seed coat (aril?)
partially away from the sprouting zucchini. I also split the aril near the
point of another seed. I split two banana squash seeds in the same way. In a
week or so, I expect to find out if this technique helps.

both the roots and the vines come out of the pointy end. If you nick it
you may damage whatever would grow out of it and may kill it.
(But yes, the plant will figure out which way is up.)
I usually plant cucurbite seeds lying flat on the ground (potting soil).
What you see after you peel back the seed coat will turn into the
cotyledon (sp?).

Maren
BTW, I'm in the northern hemispehre too, and the ground here (almost)
never goes below 50F.
Palms, Etc.: Tropical Plant Seeds - Hand-made Jewelry - Plants & Lilikoi
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc/