Old 25-02-2003, 01:42 AM
Annabel

Default Watering Idea.. anyone tried it..?

"Steve Warren - UK Speedtrap Guide" wrote in message
Hi

Last year during the short dry spells the ground in our garden dried

up very
easily, Clay soil.
Through the winter I been adding compost to make the soil better and

its
getting there.
When we watered the ground last year, because it was so dry the water

would
run off rather than soak in. I have an idea to get a few lengths of

black
drain pipe drill some holes down the side on the lower part, seal the

bottom
and sick them along side the larger plants in the soil in a upright
position. Them when the plant needs watering I fill the drainpipe and

let
the water drain slowly out of the pipe, now I know the roots will get

the
water okay but does anyone do this and if so does it work and more
importantly did you notice a saving in water use.
Thanks
Steve

I have the same conditions as you and likewise thought of this solution,
it works beautifully, but why seal the bottom.. Where I am the trees in
community plantings have now sprouted pipes.

Bell