Old 27-01-2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

Default have i missed the boat?

samhowden wrote:

I am new to this forum, having just been biten by the gardening bug. I
have recently bought a house and for the first time have a garden and a
greenhouse. Can anyone recommend a good beginner flower, that I am
unlikely to kill and that will grow at this time of year?
I really wanted to try a type of Lilly but think this may be a bit
adventurous.

To get a feel for your greenhouse, I would recommend radishes. They
grow quickly, and you can eat them. This may sound funny, but the main
thing you need to learn about a greenhouse is to manage the heat. A
greenhouse is a solar oven and can kill things easily. When you feel
you have a handle on it, then try some bedding plants for this spring.
And, of course, everyone in the UK has some tomatoes in their
greenhouse. It is a little early to start them now.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman