Old 27-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Registered User

Location: UK Nottingham
Red face have i missed the boat?

Hi,
I am new to this forum, having just been biten by the gardening bug. I have recently bought a house and for the first time have a garden and a greenhouse. Can anyone recommend a good beginner flower, that I am unlikely to kill and that will grow at this time of year?
I really wanted to try a type of Lilly but think this may be a bit adventurous.
Thanks
Old 27-01-2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default have i missed the boat?

--
samhowden

They're all easy and they're all hard. It all depends on a million factors,
most of which are beyond your control. Where do you live?

Old 27-01-2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

samhowden wrote:

I am new to this forum, having just been biten by the gardening bug. I
have recently bought a house and for the first time have a garden and a
greenhouse. Can anyone recommend a good beginner flower, that I am
unlikely to kill and that will grow at this time of year?
I really wanted to try a type of Lilly but think this may be a bit
adventurous.

To get a feel for your greenhouse, I would recommend radishes. They
grow quickly, and you can eat them. This may sound funny, but the main
thing you need to learn about a greenhouse is to manage the heat. A
greenhouse is a solar oven and can kill things easily. When you feel
you have a handle on it, then try some bedding plants for this spring.
And, of course, everyone in the UK has some tomatoes in their
greenhouse. It is a little early to start them now.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 27-01-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:36:16 +0000, samhowden
wrote:
I am new to this forum, having just been biten by the gardening bug. I
have recently bought a house and for the first time have a garden and a
greenhouse. Can anyone recommend a good beginner flower, that I am
unlikely to kill and that will grow at this time of year?

I'd suggest some quick growing things that like warm temperatures, and some
that like cool temperatures. Grow several pots or flats in various locations
in your greenhouse -- a pot of cool-loving next to a pot of warmth-loving
plants, and watch what happens. For cool-loving plants, you could choose
any of the cole crops or lettuce; for warmth, tomato, eggplant or pepper.

What I think you'll find is that during a sunny day, ventilation has to be
good to keep from cooking your plants (and they'll also need more water
than you imagine!), while at night, you may see symptoms of a little too
cool temperatures. During long periods of heavy overcast and rain, you'll
find the cool temperature plants doing fine, and probably outgrowing the
warmth-requiring plants. Depending on the size of the greenhouse, the
amount of "thermal ballast" in it, and the exposures and shading from
structures and outdoor plants, you may find some areas of the greenhouse
are better for plants requiring warmth, and others better for cool plants.
Or you may decide that you need a fan to help even out temperatures in
the greenhouse a bit.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for something simple to grow from
seed and that will flower soon, you might try the humble marigold, particularly
the dwarf or signet types. They're pretty resistant to all sorts of abuse.
Zonal pelargoniums ("geraniums" in US garden speak) from cuttings or
established plants can also take quite a bit of environmental abuse and
survive.

Kay

Old 28-01-2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

Default geranium/Pelargonium

Kay Lancaster wrote:

Zonal pelargoniums ("geraniums" in US garden speak)

The family Geraniaceae includes:

Erodium
Geranium
Monsonia (formerly Sarcocaulon)
Pelargonium

Erodium is a small genus that includes geraniums of Europe and South
America and Australia, especially mountainous regions.

Geranium is a genus of plants having a beaklike torus or receptacle,
around which the seed capsules are arranged, and membranous projections,
or stipules, at the joints. Most of the species have showy flowers and a
pungent odor. Sometimes called crane's-bill.

Monsonia is a genus from South Africa with actinomorphic flowers and are
succulents usually found in areas with extreme drought.

Pelargonium is a large genus of plants of the order {Geraniace[ae]},
differing from Geranium in having a spurred calyx and an irregular
corolla. Most are from South Africa.

Many plants classified in the genus Geranium by the earlier botanists
are now separated from it under the name Pelargonium, which includes all
the commonly cultivated "geraniums" from South Africa.

Hence, geranium (with a small g) refers to all plants that were formerly
in the former grouping of the genus Geranium including Geranium and
Pelargonium. Pelargoniums are a specific group of geraniums which
excludes the crane's-bills.

Native American Geraniums include:

G. arboreum
G. atropurpureum
G. bicknellii
G. caespitosum
G. californicum
G. carolinianum
G. cuneatum
G. erianthum
G. hanaense
G. humile
G. kauaiense
G. lentum
G. maculatum
G. multiflorum
G. oreganum
G. richardsonii
G. robertianum
G. texanum
G. viscosissimum
G. wislizeni

Old 28-01-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

This is how the list of genera should read:

The family Geraniaceae includes:

Erodium
Geranium
Monsonia (including the former Sarcocaulon)
Pelargonium

The four genera in the Geraniaceae are distinguished primarily on the basis
of the number of stamens, actinomorphy vs. zygomorphy and the nectaries.

Actually Sarcocaulon was originally included Monsonia but was raised to a
separate genus on the basis of its persistent fleshy stems and certain
floral differences that turned out to be illusory. Recent morphological and
DNA studies show Sarcocaulon to actually be a subgroup within Monsonia.
Sarcocaulon has simply been reunited with Monsonia where it belongs. The
majority of the species in the genus are annuals or herbaceous perennials.
The genera Pelargonium and Geranium also include species that are shrubby or
have fleshy stems.

Erodium is the only genus in the family to include species with both
actinomorphic and zygomorphic flowers. Monsonia and Geranium are
actinomorphic only and Pelargonium are exclusively zygomorphic because of
the nectary spur.

The other genera that have been associated with the Geraniaceae
(Biebersteinia, Wendtia, Dirachma and Viviania) have been shown to be
unrelated and are now placed in other plant families.

The South American genus Hypseocharis has been shown to be closely allied to
the Geraniaceae in many floral characters but has been placed in its own
family Hypseocharitaceae because of differences in the fruit dehiscence and
other characters.

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news