Old 27-01-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Default have i missed the boat?

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:36:16 +0000, samhowden
wrote:
I am new to this forum, having just been biten by the gardening bug. I
have recently bought a house and for the first time have a garden and a
greenhouse. Can anyone recommend a good beginner flower, that I am
unlikely to kill and that will grow at this time of year?

I'd suggest some quick growing things that like warm temperatures, and some
that like cool temperatures. Grow several pots or flats in various locations
in your greenhouse -- a pot of cool-loving next to a pot of warmth-loving
plants, and watch what happens. For cool-loving plants, you could choose
any of the cole crops or lettuce; for warmth, tomato, eggplant or pepper.

What I think you'll find is that during a sunny day, ventilation has to be
good to keep from cooking your plants (and they'll also need more water
than you imagine!), while at night, you may see symptoms of a little too
cool temperatures. During long periods of heavy overcast and rain, you'll
find the cool temperature plants doing fine, and probably outgrowing the
warmth-requiring plants. Depending on the size of the greenhouse, the
amount of "thermal ballast" in it, and the exposures and shading from
structures and outdoor plants, you may find some areas of the greenhouse
are better for plants requiring warmth, and others better for cool plants.
Or you may decide that you need a fan to help even out temperatures in
the greenhouse a bit.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for something simple to grow from
seed and that will flower soon, you might try the humble marigold, particularly
the dwarf or signet types. They're pretty resistant to all sorts of abuse.
Zonal pelargoniums ("geraniums" in US garden speak) from cuttings or
established plants can also take quite a bit of environmental abuse and
survive.

Kay