Old 27-01-2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
V_coerulea

Default Tomato Rootstck

There are some tomatos that are more resistant to nematodes and other
soil-borne diseases. So grafting some less resistant heirloom varieties onto
those roots would help. The stem might even convey other disease resistance
up into the scion. So it's not really a crazy idea, just more than most
people would undertake.
And as for grafting onto locoweed as mentionned elsewhere in this thread,
now that's crazy! Either he's pulling everyone's leg or he knows nothing
about grafting.
Gary

"Steve" wrote in message
freemont wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:52:01 -0800, clevermonkey wrote:

I read in a seed catalog about tomato rootstock. What is it?

http://tinyurl.com/auxul

1) I didn't know you could search Google that way. I'll have to remember
that trick.

2) All that explains what a rootstock is but what on earth is a tomato
rootstock? Did someone actually develop a variety of tomato that needs to
be grafted??

Steve