Old 26-01-2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
clevermonkey

Default Tomato Rootstck

I read in a seed catalog about tomato rootstock. What is it?

Old 26-01-2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
freemont

http://tinyurl.com/auxul

--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·- freemont© -·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
Old 27-01-2006, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

freemont wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:52:01 -0800, clevermonkey wrote:

I read in a seed catalog about tomato rootstock. What is it?

http://tinyurl.com/auxul

1) I didn't know you could search Google that way. I'll have to remember
that trick.

2) All that explains what a rootstock is but what on earth is a tomato
rootstock? Did someone actually develop a variety of tomato that needs
to be grafted??

Steve
Old 27-01-2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
V_coerulea

There are some tomatos that are more resistant to nematodes and other
soil-borne diseases. So grafting some less resistant heirloom varieties onto
those roots would help. The stem might even convey other disease resistance
up into the scion. So it's not really a crazy idea, just more than most
people would undertake.
And as for grafting onto locoweed as mentionned elsewhere in this thread,
now that's crazy! Either he's pulling everyone's leg or he knows nothing
about grafting.
Gary

Old 28-01-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

On 1/27/06 3:35 PM, in article ,
"V_coerulea" wrote:

And as for grafting onto locoweed as mentionned elsewhere in this thread,
now that's crazy! Either he's pulling everyone's leg or he knows nothing
about grafting.

Loco weed also known as jimson weed is related to nightshade plants such as
tomatoes or tobacco. IIRC, it was done as a lark. Check out the Annals of
Medicine in the New Yorker of at least 30 years ago.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Old 28-01-2006, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DPSpencer

Berton Roueche in his book "The Medical Detectives" [Washington Square
Press 1982] wrote of a case from October 28, 1963 in Caney Valley
Tennessee where 5 people became weirdly ill after eating a tomato that
was grown on a tomato plant grated onto a Jimson weed. The grower was
trying to produce a late frost-resistant tomato. Which it was, but it
nearly killed him. Jimson weed, like tomatoes and Irish potatoes and
nightshade are all members of Solanaceae.

His book is derived from his columns "Annals of Medicine" in the New
Yorker, and the original column was from 1965.

Well done, Bill! I just happened to have the book on the shelf so I
could look it up, but you remembered the name of the column, the
periodical and nearly the right decade!

David.

Old 29-01-2006, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
freemont

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:11:41 -0500, Steve wrote:

freemont wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:52:01 -0800, clevermonkey wrote:

I read in a seed catalog about tomato rootstock. What is it?

http://tinyurl.com/auxul

1) I didn't know you could search Google that way. I'll have to remember
that trick.

2) All that explains what a rootstock is but what on earth is a tomato
rootstock? Did someone actually develop a variety of tomato that needs to
be grafted??

Steve

Sounds like a bareroot to me- you get a root with a stem sticking out of
it, and you stick it into some dirt, and the stem makes a plant. I grew my
tarragon this way. Never heard of growing tomatoes like this, but who
knows?

Old 29-01-2006, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook

On 26 Jan 2006 13:52:01 -0800, "clevermonkey"
wrote:

I read in a seed catalog about tomato rootstock. What is it?

What catalog was this in?
--
Susan N.

Old 29-01-2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Marrs

Tomato root stock is high resistant tomato plant or their seeds. Tomato
plant grafting widely practiced in Asia with Japan being a leader. Two of
the most popular are Maxifort and Beaufort. Check out this link to learn
mo https widely ://www.new-agri.co.uk/98-2/focuson.html Just do a search
on yahoo or google for "tomato grafting" . I am planning on do this for
disease resistant plants. Its new to the USA but old hat like I said in
Asia.

JEM

"clevermonkey" wrote in message
oups.com...
I read in a seed catalog about tomato rootstock. What is it?

Old 31-01-2006, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
clevermonkey

I'm pretty sure I saw the tomato rootstock thing in a Johnny's Selected
Seeds catalog.