Old 30-01-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

Default Phal. lueddemanniana

I grow my lueddemanniana in a 8" wooden basket filled with sphagnum. I turn
the basket on it side and staple plastic gutter-guard mesh to the wood hold
the sphagnum in the bottom half. I place the plant in the upper half, add
sphagnum and staple another strip of gutterguard to hold the top half of the
sphagnum in. A regular hanger can be used in the top 2 rings and 1 through
the back top wood slat. This way the plant gets plenty of moisture and gets
to hang naturally and look pretty decent. I fertilize it every week during
the time it's growing. When it decides it's going to rest (usually winter)
it gets sprayed with fertilizer lightly and I let the sphagnum get a little
dryer. I find this method easy and sure-fire (at least for my conditions)
for most Phal species. Good luck.
Gary

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
I bought this plant in Miami yesterday, for the princely sum of $7.50. It
is in spike, and has a keiki on one spike, which seems to be common for
this species. For you Phal growers, a query. I've googled this, and looked
at pictures taken by Al, but since Phal. species have had an annoying
tendency to become depressed and suicidal in my care, I thought I'd ask for
some advice.

It appears to me that the spikes on this plant need to be left unsupported
to roam on their own. Is that correct? The plant has a very healthy root
system (I checked way down in the pot) and is potted up in straight
spaghnum. One or two sites that I found mentioned growing lueddemanniana
in a basket or mounted. Another mentions plenty of water year round, which
is contrary to growing it mounted.

What's the real deal? And is it a heavy feeder?

Diana