Old 30-01-2006, 11:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Default Which early tomato?

Doug Kanter said:

I've never grown any of the so-called "early" tomatoes, but my current
garden would be a good place for one of them. I'm in zone 5, upstate NY.
I'm interested in recommended varieties from anyone who's had
consistently good results from certain varieties.

I grew Stupice for a while. It is very early and has an excellent flavor.
But I replaced it with Burpee's 4th of July. In a head-to-head taste
comparison, 4th of July was just about the equal of Stupice. (Some
tasters couldn't tel them apart.) Both varieties startare equally early.
Where 4th of July has the advantage, though, in productivity all summer
long. Stupice tended to fade off for me. Plus Stupice has a tendency
to ripen unevenly (green shoulders) which 4th of July doesn't have.

(attributed to Don Marti)